June 24, 2008

Who Am I?

I used to begin tossing around credentials at this question. I was happy to tell people what I did, what I thought, or even what they should think of me. The sad result of that was that I was nothing more than a set of credentials, thoughts and a person who wanted desperately for other people to perceive me in a way with which I was comfortable. I was more of a notion than a person.

Now, I can comfortably say that I am a human being. I regard my existence as special. I was put here, as you were, for a reason. I have some ideas why, but if I am honest with you, as I intend to be throughout this experience, I'm just trying to work things out. I am a man of faith, lacking in dogma and working to find conviction.

If that sounds confusing, hah! Try living it! I believe in one God. I have no religion to call my own. My morality is evolving as I work to determine what I'm able to understand about morality. Yes, I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but I didn't promise answers, I said I'd be honest.

Did God cut a deal with Moses? Looks like it, right up until the kill the gay people, slavery or odd meal rules parts. What about Jesus? I grew up with him, and think much of what he says is great. I have no way in the world to connect with Eastern religions on a personal level. Islam is one I'm willing to discard, solely on the objections of those who left it at peril to life and limb. Most cults are obviously bunk.

What's with all the God talk when I discuss who I am? That's the kicker. I think I'm a weak fascimile of God, as is every other human being on earth. I think we're special. I think we are all in this imperfect mess together and that the only way I can truly connect with God is to connect with you.

OUCH! That's another kicker. I have one heck of a time connecting to you. There are many reasons why, and maybe some day I'll go into some. You can assume that this blog is the beginning. I'm trying to connect with you.

So who am I? I'm me. I'm like you in many ways. In some ways, we're nothing alike. I hope that helps you understand me a little better.

No comments: